Street Trading

Licensing Street Trading

About Street Trading

The Council has a number of streets that are designated as consent streets which means that anyone who wishes to trade on these streets must hold a street trading consent. The A413 is also designated as a prohibited street which prevents any trading.

'Street Trading' is defined as "the sale and exposing or offering for sale any article, including a living thing, in a street." Streets are further defined as to include any road, footway, beach, or other area to which the public have access without payment.

New applicants are advised to contact the Council, Thames Valley Police and Transport for Buckinghamshire as soon as possible, preferably before an application is made. This allows the Authorised Officers to provide advice, as well as clarifying any areas of uncertainty.

Street Traders that serve hot food or drink at any time between 11.00pm and 05.00am the following day or sell alcohol will also require a Premises Licence under the Licensing Act 2003.

Icon for pdf Street Trading Policy [1.38MB]

Making an application

Each application must be accompanied by the prescribed, non-refundable application fee and an application will not be considered as duly made until the prescribed application fee has been received.

The following will also be required to be submitted with the application:

  • Where the proposed street activity is from a fixed position, a copy of a map of at least 1:1250 scale. The map should clearly identify the proposed site position by marking the site boundary with a red line. The map should also indicate the locations of other street traders and outlets trading in similar commodities to those proposed;
  • Details of the proposed activity, including the nature of goods being sold, times and days of operations and written permission of the landowner if on private land;
  • Confirmation that adequate levels of third party and public liability insurance is, or will be, in place during street trading activity.

Regulation Summary

The council will either grant the application or serve a notice on you within a reasonable time.

You must comply with any conditions attached to a licence.

You must be over 17 years of age to hold a licence.

Conditions may be attached to a street trading consent including conditions -

    (a) to prevent obstruction of the street or danger to persons using it; or

    (b) to prevent nuisance or annoyance (whether to persons using the street or otherwise)

    (c) as to where the holder of the street trading consent may trade

    (d) as to the times between which or periods for which he may trade.

The Council may either refuse the application, grant it on different terms than those applied for, confine trading to a particular place in a street, vary conditions of a licence or revoke a licence.

Can I practice if I have not received a response to my application for a Licence?

No. It is in the public interest that the authority must process your application before it can be granted. If you have not heard from the local authority within a reasonable period, please contact it. You can do this online if you applied through the GOV.UK - set up a business or use the contact details below.

Apply online

Street trading licence

Change a street trading licence

Can I reapply if my application fails?

If your application for a licence has failed and you would like to correct what is wrong and reapply please contact the Licensing Team, at:

Buckinghamshire Council
King George V House
King George V Road

Online: Service Request Form

If you wish to appeal a decision of the council you may appeal to the local Magistrates' court within 21 days of the date you were notified of the decision.

You may appeal the decision of a Magistrates' Court to the local Crown Court.

Making a complaint

We would always advise that in the event of a complaint the first contact is made with the trader by you - preferably in the form a letter (with proof of delivery).  Contact the Council by completing the Complaint form.

If that has not worked, if you are located in the UK, Citizens Advice will give you advice. From outside the UK contact the UK European Consumer Centre.