Go to the new Buckinghamshire Council website

Toggle menu

Coronavirus support and information

Local information on coronavirus including service changes, business support, how to get help and vaccinations.

Housing and relationship breakdown

If you are the sole owner of the property

You will have a great many rights in the short term about what should happen to your property and, unless you are married, your partner would have to apply for an occupation order to stay in the property if you ask him/her to leave. However, in the long term your partner could try and establish that although you are the sole owner he / she has a financial stake in the property in the way outlined in previous sections. If you are married or have children your partner could try to get the property transferred into his/her name as part of divorce or Children Act proceedings. Your partner would have to go to court to do either of these things and if he / she does you should seek legal advice straight away.