Private Hire Drivers
About Private Hire Drivers
All private hire drivers must hold a private hire driver's licence to be able to work legally. In order to get a licence the driver must show the Council that they are a "fit and proper" or trustworthy person. This is because passengers may be young, elderly, have a physical or mental disability, be in an unfamiliar place, may have consumed alcohol or not speak English. For these reasons the trustworthiness of the driver is important.
Applications for a private hire driver's licence must provide:
- Application form and fee completed on line
- Medical certificate completed by the applicants registered doctor
- Two recent passport sized photographs of the applicant
- Enhanced DBS certificate completed on line: Apply online for a DBS check
- Specialist driving test pass certificate
- Two character references
- Proof of right to work in the UK.
- Pass certificate for the Council's Knowledge Test
- A valid full DVLA/EU driver's licence (groups A and B) which must have been held for a period of three years before applying
Further information for those considering applying for a private hire or hackney carriage or private hire licence can be found in the Council's