Community litter pick
New Covid-19 procedures - Litter picking equipment
Buckinghamshire council are now able to lend out litter pickers, provide bags and offer a waste collection after a litter pick event at a designated collection point.
Before collection of equipment
Organisers can request equipment using the online form. Using the form, organisers can select a date and a Council office location where they would like to collect equipment from. A member of Council staff will contact the organiser with a time-slot to collect equipment during Council office opening hours.
Litter pickers will be sanitised using anti-bacterial cleaning products whilst council staff are wearing appropriate PPE, including disposable gloves. The litter pickers will be placed in disposable bags and labelled with the organisers details and date of collection.
Any person(s) collecting equipment must not have any symptoms of Covid-19 or have anyone in their household who are currently self-isolating or in quarantine after a trip from abroad.
Collecting equipment from council offices
- Organisers collecting equipment and bags must sign in at Reception for track and trace purposes.
- Council staff will point the organiser to the collection area and they will collect the bag containing the litter pickers and bags from this point with no handling of the bags by Reception staff.
- Organisers running multiple litter picks will be offered to keep litter pickers on a long term loan basis to avoid repeated contact.
Return of equipment - for one-off litter pick events
- Organisers will need to arrange to drop off the litter pickers to the council and will be given a time slot during council office opening hours.
- Organisers will need to sanitise the handle of the litter pickers using anti-bacterial cleaning products and place into a disposable bag.
- Organisers returning equipment must sign in at Reception for track and trace purposes and will be directed to where the drop off point is for the equipment.
The council can arrange for bagged waste to be collected from a designated collection point. This will need to be arranged prior to the event taking place.
Risk assessment for Litter pick events
Please refer to the Government guidelines for keeping yourself and others safe from Coronavirus and all participants to read the Keep Britain Tidy guidance for litter picking events. Great British Spring Clean 2020 - Coronavirus Guidance
Individuals currently shielding, in 'at risk' groups, displaying symptoms (or in contact with those with symptoms) or have been directly advised to self-isolate should not litter-pick.
The council risk assessment covers the staff preparing and distributing equipment and does not extend to individuals taking part in the litter picking events.
Use our online form to request equipment