Go to the new Buckinghamshire Council website

Toggle menu

Coronavirus support and information

Local information on coronavirus including service changes, business support, how to get help and vaccinations.

Housing and relationship breakdown

If only your name is on the tenancy

If you are the sole tenant of the property, you will have many rights in the short-term as any person sharing with you can only remain in the home with your agreement, unless they are married to you or obtain an occupation order from the court. However if you have been in a relationship, or are married, your partner can apply to court to get the property transferred into his / her name. If you don't want to stay in the property it may be in your interests to try and get the tenancy transferred into your partner's name. This will end your liability to pay the rent. You will need to take independent advice about doing this.