Home Energy Savings
An average family household spent around £1,344 on their combined energy bill! See below for some simple cheap solutions to help you save on your energy bills and make your house more comfortable.
- Turn off lights and other electrical appliances when not in use. High energy bills often include energy that's being used for no reason
- Replace light bulbs with light-emitting diode (LED) lamps. They last up to 10 times longer and use 80% less energy
- Use draft excluders at your doors and rugs on floors to avoid drafts and keep your house warm
- During winter leave the curtains or blinds open to let sunshine in. During warm days keep them closed to block direct sunlight entering your house
- Consider investing in roof, ceiling and wall insulation. It can save you on average 20% on heating costs
- When purchasing any new appliances, make sure you check the energy label. The more efficient the appliance, the less energy it will use
- Unplug battery chargers when batteries are fully charged or the chargers are not in use
- Turn off equipment. Even if you switch equipment to 'stand by' or 'hibernate' it will still use a small amount of energy
- Consider installing renewable technology at your property
- If in doubt turn it out, the cheapest energy is the energy you don't use!
For further information and advice on ways to save energy and money visit the Energy Savings Trust