Hackney Carriage Vehicles
A Hackney Carriage vehicle can be a London style black cab or one of a number of purpose built wheelchair accessible vehicles produced for the UK.
An annual licence is required for any such vehicle which is used for hire either by being flagged down or approached at a taxi rank. We set the rates per mile that can be charged for a journey. Every vehicle must have a meter fitted which determines the maximum charge for each journey within the area. Every vehicle must also have an illuminated roof sign showing when the vehicle is available for hire.
Applications for a Hackney Carriage licence must provide:
- Application form and fee completed online
- Original and current MOT certificate for the vehicle.
- Original V5 log book registration document.
- Original certificate of insurance for the vehicle with correct usage.
- Original and current compliance certificate. (see list of garages in the downloads).
- A meter calibration certificate