Food premises registration

Health and Safety Courses

To store, prepare, distribute or sell food on premises you need to be registered at least 28 days before opening.

Premises include restaurants, cafes, hotels, shops, canteens, market stalls, mobile catering vans and food delivery vans. Moveable premises are registered with the authority in whose area they are normally kept or garaged.

There is no fee for this application.


Apply online for registration of a food business

Will Tacit Consent Apply?

Yes. This means that you will be able to act as though your application is granted if you have not heard by the end of the target completion period.

Public register

To view the public register of food premises in the Chiltern Area contact the Environmental Health Team at

Some manufacturers handling products of animal origin may need to be approved rather than registered. If you are uncertain whether your business needs to be approved or registered see our Food premises approval page.