Go to the new Buckinghamshire Council website

Toggle menu

Coronavirus support and information

Local information on coronavirus including service changes, business support, how to get help and vaccinations.

Caravan Site Licence

Caravan Site Licence

To run a caravan and camping site you need a licence from the Local Authority. Conditions may be attached to the licence to cover any of the following:


  • Restricting when caravans can be on the site for human habitation or limiting the number of caravans that can be on the site at any one time
  • Controlling the types of caravans on the site

  • Controlling the positioning of the caravans or regulating the use of other structures and vehicles including tents

  • Ensuring that steps are taken to enhance the land including planting/replanting bushes and trees

  • Fire safety and firefighting controls

  • Ensuring that sanitary and other facilities, services and equipment are supplied and maintained

Making an application

The applicant must be entitled to use the land as a caravan site. Licences will not be issued to applicants who have had a site licence revoked within three years of the current application.

A summary of the Regulations relating to running a caravan site can be found in the Mobile Homes Act 2013.

Licences, site rules and applications can be found using our online register

Application Evaluation Process

Applications for site licences are made to the local authority in whose area the land situated.

Applications must be in writing, should detail the land the application concerns and any other information required by the Local Authority.

Can I assume that my application is successful if I have not received a response within the given timescale?

No. It is in the public interest that the authority must process your application before it can be granted. If you have not heard from the local authority you are not licensed to run a caravan site. If you have not heard from the Local Authority within a reasonable period, please contact it. You can do this online if you applied through the UK Welcomes service or use the contact details below.

Apply to run a caravan site or camp site

Licence Holder Redress

Please contact the Licensing Team in the first instance.

Buckinghamshire Council
King George V House
King George V Road

email: licensing.csb@buckinghamshire.gov.uk


If a licence holder wishes to appeal against a condition attached to a licence they may appeal to the local Magistrates' Court. The appeal must be made within 28 days of the licence being issued.

The council may alter conditions at any time but must give licence holders the opportunity to make representations about the proposed changes. If a licence holder disagrees with the alterations they may appeal to the local Magistrates' court. The appeal must be made within 28 days of the written notification of the alteration and a notice of appeal must be served on the local council.

Consumer Complaint

We would always advise that in the event of a complaint the first contact is made with the trader by you - preferably in the form a letter (with proof of delivery). If that has not worked, if you are located in the UK, Consumer Direct will give you advice. From outside the UK contact the UK European Consumer Centre

Complaints procedure

Any other complaints can be made using the Complaint form.

Trade Associations

Please see the links below for all trade associations.