Ask For Angela
Ask For Angela is an initiative to raise awareness of sexual violence and abuse.
The aim is to stop harassment that some people experience in social situations by enabling people who are feeling unsafe or threatened while on a date to alert bar staff so they can then defuse the situation or arrange a safe way of getting home.
How Does It Work?
Every pub or bar that supports the initiative will have visible posters located in the toilets.
If you feel unsafe, fearful or uneasy ask a member of staff for Angela and the staff will make sure you that you are safe.
How can I be part of Ask For Angela?
Any premise can sign up to Ask For Angela; there is a downloadable poster and staff guideline sheet available to download below.
As soon as you display the poster you are part of the initiative!
- Offer to take the person asking for help to a part of venue not in sight of the public or potential threat. (staff room, kitchen, toilets)
- Offer to call the person a taxi or assist them in calling a friend/family member to come and collect them
- Where safe to do so (the person asking for help is out of sight and the staff consider it safe) request the person causing distress leaves the venue
- Ask the person in distress what it is they want to do? (It might be they just want to alert staff that things are becoming uncomfortable and might need someone to keep watch whilst they collect possessions from the area where they were seated)
- Do Not allow the person asking for help to leave the venue in sight of the person causing them distress as this could lead to them being followed out of the venue and placed at higher risk
- If the person causing distress becomes angry consider calling the police for assistance or follow your corporate policy on this issue
Premises supporting Ask For Angela:
- The Elephant And Castle, Amersham
- The Brewery Shop, Amersham
- The Crown, Amersham
- The Kings Arm, Amersham
- The Pomeroy Inn, Amersham
- The Potters Arms,Amersham
- The Plough Amersham
- The Squirrel, Amersham
- The Hit or Miss, Amersham
- The Swan, Amersham
- Boot and Slipper, Amersham
- The Crown, Amersham
Chalfont St Giles
- The Ivy House, Chalfont St Giles
Chalfont St Peter
- Greyhound Inn, Chalfont St Peter
- The Jolly Farmer, Chalfont St Peter
- The Generals Arms, Chesham
- The George and Dragon, Chesham
- The Brewery Shop, Chesham
- The Red Lion, Chesham
- The Jolly Sportsman, Chesham
- The Black Cat, Chesham
- The Harte and Magpies, Coleshill
- The Cross Keys, Great Missenden
- Origins at The White Lion, Great Missenden
- The Black Horse, Great Missenden
- The Nags Head, Great Missenden
- The Old Oak, Holmer Green
- The Earl Howe, Holmer Green
- The Plough, Hyde Heath
- The Full Moon, Little Kingshill
- The Jolly Cricketers, Seer Green
- The Three Horseshoes, Seer Green
- The Chequers Tree, Prestwood
- The Polecat Inn, Prestwood
For further information please call the Community Safety Team - 01895 837223 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.