Benefits - extended payments - help back into work

If your Income Support, Employment Support Allowance or Job Seekers Allowance ends because you or your partner:

• Start work
• Increase the hours you work

you may be able to have an extra four weeks of housing benefit and council tax support. This is known as an extended payment. The new job must be expected to last for at least five weeks.

To qualify for an extended payment, you must have been receiving one of the following benefits for at least 26 continuous weeks:

• Income based Job Seekers Allowance 
• Income related Employment and Support Allowance
• Income Support 
• Receiving Incapacity Benefit or Severe Disablement Allowance.

You must tell us the date your circumstances changed. We will then grant an 'extended payment'. When the four week period is over you might still be entitled to housing benefit and/ or council tax support, so we will ask you to supply details of your income and capital.

Do this immediately to make sure you don't lose any benefit.