Benefits - changes of circumstance

If you have a change in your circumstances, you need to let us know straight away. If you don't you may not receive all that you are entitled to, or you might receive too much which you will need to pay back.

Report a change of circumstance

Examples of the types of changes you should tell us about:


  • If someone living with you stops or starts work or has any other changes in income
  • If any of your children leave school, start work, or have any other changes in their income
  • If anyone comes to live with you or if anyone leaves - including lodgers and tenants
  • If you marry, separate or divorce
  • If you have a new baby
  • If you are paying child care costs or any changes to child care costs.
  • If you stop or start caring for a disabled person
  • Tell is if you receive a decision from the Home Office regarding your immigration status.
  • If you have a student child who normally studies away from home and they return home during the vacation period
  • If you or your partner go into hospital, tell us the date and also tell us when you get home

Temporary absence

  • Tell us if you, your partner or both of you leave the country for more than 4 weeks. Tell us before you go and as soon as you get back.

Income/Savings - Pensions and Benefits

  • If you or your partner starts or stop getting child benefit, child tax credit, working tax credit, pension credit, jobseekers allowance or any other benefit or pension
  • If you or your partner stop or start work, even if you get less money
  • If you or your partner's wages go up or down
  • If your hours increase or decrease
  • If you or your partner's savings change
  • You receive any additional monies or payment (e.g. maintenance or charitable payments)
  • Any changes in payments received from sub-tenants, lodgers or boarders.


  • If the rent you are charged by your landlord changes
  • If you move and change address.

You should tell us immediately of the change happening, if you don't you could lose benefit. If you don't tell us on time we may go on paying the same rate of benefit as before and this may be wrong.

We may need to change the amount we pay you, or stop your benefit completely because of a change. We will expect you to pay back any benefits that you are overpaid.

If you take too long to tell us of a change that would give you more benefit, we can only increase your benefit from the Monday after the date you told us.

If there are good reasons that explain your delay we may be able to pay the extra money from an earlier date, but we cannot guarantee that.

If you don't report a change that you know affects your benefit, and don't have a good reason for this, you are committing a criminal offence, just as if you gave us false information or concealed the truth.

How do I tell you about my changes?

It is easy to let us know. You can email us at or call us on (01494)732077, or complete online form.

Don't be stung by an overpayment. Tell us about your changes.