What if you think your rateable value is wrong

If you think your rateable value or the entry in the local list is wrong, you can check, challenge and appeal the entry in the local list with the Valuation Office Agency.

Further information on check, challenge, appeal including the grounds on which challenges and appeals can be made, can be obtained from the Valuation Office, and the Valuation Tribunal Service

What happens after I have made an appeal?

The Valuation Office will advise you of the outcome of their decision. In the meantime though, you must still pay the bill that the Council sent to you. We cannot recalculate your bill until the Valuation Office advise us in writing of the new rateable value.

If your request is successful, the rateable value will be changed and your bill recalculated. Any rates paid in excess of your new liability can be refunded.