Temporary Event Notices

Licensing Services

About Temporary Event Notices

A Temporary Event Notice is needed for small-scale events where you want to sell alcohol, provide regulated entertainment or provide late night refreshments. Such events can be held inside, outside or a mixture of both. They cover one-off events for up to 168 hours for no more than 499 people including staff.

A Temporary Event Notice is required for premises that do not hold a Premises Licence or where that licence does not cover the period requested by the TEN.

Who can apply?

Any person, aged 18 or over, whether or not they hold an existing licence.

When should I apply?

There are two types of temporary event notices: standard and late.

An application for a standard temporary event notice must be made no later than 10 working days before an event is due to take place.

A late temporary event notice can be given no later than 5 working days before an event is due to take place.

If you are holding a large scale or unusual event we recommend that you contact us at an early stage to discuss your proposals. Early consideration will enable responsible authorities to consider and discuss with organisers their plans and avoid potential objections.

How much does it cost?

A fee of £21 is payable when you serve the Notice.

What are the limitations?

  • Personal Licence holders may give up to 50 per year (including up to 10 late temporary event notices)
  • If you don't hold a Personal Licence holders may give up to 5 notices per year (including up to two late temporary event notices)
  • Each event may last no more than 168 hours (7 days)
  • No premises may be used more than 15 times per year
  • No premises may be used for more than 21 days per year in total
  • There must be a minimum of 24 hours between events at the same premises by the same premises user

Who else needs to know?

If you are submitting your Temporary Event Notice through the Council's online application form, you do not need to inform anyone else as the process is fully automated.

If you are giving notice to the licensing authority (the local Council for the area) on a paper form, you will also need to notify the Chief of Police and the Environmental Health department in the area in which the event is due to take place. For Chiltern, it will be:

The Chief Officer of Police
Thames Valley Police
Headquarters (South)
email: licensing@thamesvalley.pnn.police.uk

Environmental Health
Buckinghamshire Council
King George V House
King George V Road
email: envhealth.csb@buckinghamshire.gov.uk

Online licensing forms