Scams are created to trick you into handing over personal details and money, if it seems too good to be true - then it probably is.
You can be scammed through the post, on the phone, via text message/email or from someone on your doorstep.
The following types of scams can be reported to trading standards:
- cold calling doorstep traders
- rogue traders
- scam or fraud
- unsafe products
- scam mail and emails
- underage sales
- counterfeit products and
- loan sharks
To protect yourself from scams:
- don't open attachments or click on links in emails or texts from senders you don't know
- never give out personal information, financial details or passwords in response to an email, when you receive an unexpected phone call or in response to a text message
- set up spam filters on all of your accounts
- don't respond to emails or texts from unknown sources
- always go to a website directly, by typing out the address yourself, when logging into an account
For more information and advice please call the Citizens Advice Consumer Helpline on 03454 04 05 06 or contact them online via the Citizen advice contact us page.