Problem Car Trading from the Highway

Some garages and businesses repair, or offer for sale, vehicles on the road. This can be a nuisance to local residents, look unsightly, can lead to damage of the local environment and take up valuable car parking spaces.

The Clean Neighbourhoods and Environment Act 2005 specifies the following two criminal offences in relation to nuisance parking and car trading from the highway:

  1. Exposing vehicles for sale on a road

2 or more vehicles for sale and parked within 500 metres of each other on public road for the purposes of a business.

       2. Repairing vehicles on a road

It's an offence to repair vehicles in the street as part of the running of a vehicle repair business or for a private individual to repair their own vehicle in the street if doing so gives reasonable cause for annoyance to their neighbours. Roadside assistance organisations or mechanics repairing broken-down vehicles at the roadside are exempt as long as the work is completed within 72 hours.

Can I sell my car on the road?

Yes, as long as it is only one car which:

  • is taxed
  • is insured
  • has a MOT
  • and that you are not running a vehicle business

Should I buy a car for sale on the road?

No, don't be tempted to buy a vehicle advertised for sale on a road, and never buy a car without a log book.

If you're buying a used car privately, you should be dealing with the person at the address shown on the log book or at a garage.

If you are looking at buying a second hand car, further advice can be found on the Buckinghamshire & Surrey Trading Standards website

Reporting Nuisance Car Traders

In order for us to deal with the matter in the most appropriate way we need your support to help us identify the problem and find out where vehicles are being advertised for sale.

If you would like to report an issue with a particular vehicle or location or you have witnessed vehicle trading activity that is causing a nuisance to yourself or others then either complete the online form, or download the report form Icon for word Nuisance Car trading reporting form [16.91KB]

Forms can be returned either:

by email:

or post: Community Safety, King George V House, King George V Road, Amersham, HP6 5AW

Completed forms will be passed onto the Joint Waste team who will investigate the complaint.


The Community Safety Team is working together with: Chiltern District Council Revenues and Benefits, Chiltern District Council Joint Waste Service, Thames Valley Police, Trading Standards, Paradigm Housing, DVLA,  Bucks County Parking Services and HMRC and any information provided may be shared with some or all of the above mentioned departments for the prevention and detection of crime.