Search site
Chiltern District Council
Search site


We can only take legal action to stop or prevent noise where it is of a type and level that is considered to be a 'statutory nuisance'.

To be considered a statutory nuisance a noise has to have occurred more than once, is typically prolonged when it happens and significantly impact on those who can hear it. Before taking any action you should consider:

  • is the noise 'reasonable'
  • the time of day it occurs
  • where it occurs


If the noise is coming from a home (not a business) it is often better to try and resolve the problem informally by speaking to the people living there. Writing a letter to either a house or business that's causing noise can resolve the problem, you could use one of our TEMPLATE LETTERS.



If speaking or writing to those causing the noise does not work we recommend that you start keeping a record of when the noise occurs, how long it lasts. We recommend gathering at least 3 weeks worth of evidence.

As a last option you can report the noise from a house or business to us on our online form . Once you make your complaint to us your case will be assigned an officer. They will look at your record and decide if it's possible to take any action. If they decide the noise is a statutory nuisance they will contact those responsible to request that the noise stops.

The most common types of complaints that we investigate are caused by amplified musicbarking dogs and building works (including DIY).

This is a legal process and will require good evidence of the noise you have been experiencing. You may also be required to attend court. You can also take you own legal action.

We cannot investigate complaints of noise from people in the street, day-to-day living noise, children playing, noisy vehicles or aircraft. If you are suffering from noise disturbance outside of office hours you can contact Thames Valley Police on their non-emergency number - 101, and depending on officer availability, they maybe able to offer assistance.