Search site
Chiltern District Council
Search site

Benefits - is your benefit still not enough

If you receive Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support but need more help to pay your rent or Council Tax, you may be entitled to extra financial help.

Discretionary Housing Payments (DHP) and Discretionary Local Council Tax Support (DLCTS) are available to alleviate financial hardship where you have a liability to pay rent and/ or Council Tax.

We consider that in the majority of cases the DHP and DLCTS payments should be seen as short-term emergency funding. They are not and should not be considered as a way round any current or future entitlement restrictions set out within the housing benefit legislation, Welfare Reform Act, Welfare Reform and Work Act and localisation of council tax support.

How Do I Qualify?

In order to get additional help, you must first be entitled to some housing benefit and/ or council tax support. A claim for DHP/DLCTS can be made in writing by you or someone on your behalf.

If you disagree with the amount of DHP or DLCTS you can ask us to look at the decision again. You must e-mail or write to us stating what you disagree with within one month of the date of the decision letter.

If you require assistance in making the application please contact the Welfare Officer on 01494 732075.


pdf icon Discretionary housing payment application CDC and SB [456kb]

pdf icon Discretionary housing payment application CDC and SB info [324kb]