New joint waste service
New joint waste service
This summer we will be introducing an improved waste and recycling collection service. Over the last few weeks a communication pack has been delivered to you introducing you to the new service and what you can expect to receive.
All properties in the District have now been assessed for container suitability. Your containers and collection calendars will be delivered soon with the new service becoming effective mid July. Standard size bins will be delivered. We suggest you try these for a few weeks, but if you then feel smaller bins would be more suitable please contact the waste team: e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or call 01494 586550.
In the meantime, your current waste and recycling services will continue as normal. Please put out all your containers by 7am at the edge of your property.
What will my new service look like
- Properties on wheeled bins collections already have general rubbish collected from a wheeled bin, this will not change. You will keep your bin and we will empty it every other week (see leaflet BK1)
- Properties currently receiving a weekly black sack collection will be moving to a wheeled bin collection for general rubbish collected fortnightly. All properties will be assessed for suitability and we will inform you of the type of service you will receive. There may be some households which retain a sack collection for general rubbish. If your property is staying on a sack collection you will be provided with purple sacks (see leaflet BK2)
- All households will receive a weekly food waste collection from in a brown food waste bin
- All households will receive improved recycling collected fortnightly in a blue wheeled bin (or blue reusable bag if the property is staying on a sack collection). Please see below for a list of what can be recycled
- Paper and cardboard will continue to be collected from your black or green recycling box
- All households will also have the opportunity to recycle textiles/shoes and batteries at the kerbside
- All households will have the opportunity to subscribe to a chargeable garden waste collection service. Only households who subscribe to this chargeable service will receive a garden waste collection. Properties who already have a green wheeled bin and do not subscribe will have the green bin taken away after collections throughout June/July. To subscribe online visit www.chiltern.gov.uk/garden.
What can I expect to receive in June/July....
- A detailed comm's pack explaining your new service in more detail and a new collection calendar
- Your new black and blue wheeled bins (if staying on sacks, purple sacks will be delivered with a blue reusable bag for recycling)
- Silver caddy and brown food waste bin
- Green wheeled if you subscribe to the chargeable garden waste collection (if staying on sacks a green reusable bag can be provided)
- 2 textiles/shoes sacks
- 1 battery bag
- sample roll of approved compostable caddy liners
If you would like to have smaller bins, see the range of containers for yourself or have any questions about the new service, please come along to one of our roadshows, where you can meet the waste team and ask them any questions you may have.
Food waste collections
Every household will receive a weekly collection of food waste. We will provide you with two containers - a brown food waste bin and a silver kitchen caddy. The silver caddy can be used inside the kitchen to collect all of your food waste scraps and leftovers. When full this can be emptied into the secure brown food waste bin which can be left outside. We will supply you with a sample roll of approved compostable caddy liners.
The brown food waste bin has a tried and tested lockable lid and is animal proof.
We will collect and compost the following materials...
- All cooked & raw food waste
- Meat & fish including bones (raw & cooked)
- Peelings, plate scrapings & leftovers
- Fruit & vegetables
- Rice, pasta and beans
- All dairy products including yoghurt's
- Eggs & their shells
- Bread, cakes & pastries
- Tea bags & coffee grounds
Blue wheeled bin / reusable bag
Households with a black wheeled bin for general rubbish will be provided with a blue wheeled bin for recyclables. Households with a sack collection for general rubbish will be provided with a reusable bag.
We can now collect the following materials...
- Plastic bottles
- Plastic food trays
- Plastic pots, tubs and cups
- Aluminium drink cans / steel food tins
- Aluminium foil
- Aerosol cans
- Glass bottles and jars
- Metal and plastic lids
- Food and drink cartons including Tetra Pak
Use your existing black or green box to store all of your paper and cardboard. This is to be kept separate from the materials above. We will empty all of your recycling on the same day, at the same time, using a special vehicle to ensure the materials do not become mixed. Collections will take place on alternate weeks to the general rubbish collections.
We will collect and recycle the following materials...
- Newspapers, magazines, junk mail & envelopes
- Cardboard boxes, packaging
- Greeting cards & wrapping paper
- Telephone directories & catalogues
- Toilet & kitchen roll tubes
Bin / box size, colour and dimensions
|Smaller Bin||Residual Bin||Recycling Bin||Garden Waste Bin||Recycling Box||Outdoor Food Waste Bin|
|Litres of capacity||140 litres||180 litres||240 litres||240 litres||55 litres||25 litres|
If you would like to receive email alerts about any changes to your service or for any new scheme, please fill out the form below to receive email alerts
If you have any other queries or questions relating to your waste collections please call 01494 586550 or email email@example.com