Search site
Chiltern District Council
Search site

Animal Boarding Licence

Eugo logo licensing This link opens in a new browser window

Licence summary

To run a boarding kennel or cattery, you need a licence from the local authority. The number of dogs and cats that may be accommodated will be specified on the licence along with other specific conditions.

Home boarding

This is a similar licence to an animal boarding establishment licence, but as the animals must stay within the licence holder's home at all times, unless being exercised or taken to a veterinary surgery, the number of animals permitted upon the premises is restricted to no more than three at any given time.

Chiltern District Council may authorise an officer, veterinary surgeon or practitioner to inspect licensed premises.

Eligibility Criteria

An applicant must not be disqualified from any of the following at the time of the application:

Regulation Summary

Animal Boarding Establishments Act 1963

Application Evaluation Process

All veterinary fees incurred by the Authority in respect of the licence application will be recoverable at cost - you will be invoiced after an inspection has taken place. In the event of an application being refused, the application fee or any part will not be refunded under any circumstances. In the event that an application is withdrawn, a refund of the application fee or any part will not be refunded under any circumstances. The below table shows application fees:

New Animal Boarding Establishment£496.00
Renewal of Animal Boarding Establishment£243.00
New Home Boarding Establishment£369.00
Renewal of Home Boarding Establishment£194.00

The following criteria will be considered when the application is being evaluated:

  • That the animals will be kept in suitable accommodation at all times. Suitable accommodation takes into account the construction and size of the accommodation, the number of animals to be housed in it, facilities for exercising the animals, cleanliness and temperature, lighting and ventilation provisions.
  • That suitable food, drink and bedding materials will be provided and that the animals are exercised and visited regularly.
  • That steps are taken to prevent and control the spread of disease among the animals and that isolation facilities are in place.
  • That adequate protection is provided to the animals in the case of fire and other emergencies.
  • That a register is kept. The register should contain a description of all animals received, their arrival and departure date and the name and address of the owner. The register should be available to be inspected at any time by a local authority officer, veterinary surgeon or practitioner.

Will Tacit Consent Apply?

No. It is in the public interest that the authority must process your application before it can be granted. If you have not heard from Chiltern District Council within a reasonable period, please contact us using the information below.

Apply for a Licence

Apply online

Tell us about a change to your existing animal boarding licence

Failed Application Redress

Please contact the Licensing Team in the first instance.

Licensing Team
Chiltern District Council
King George V Road

Any licence holder who wishes to appeal against a condition attached to their licence or refusal of a licence can appeal to their local Magistrates' court.

Consumer Complaint

We would always advise that in the event of a complaint the first contact is made with the trader by you - preferably in the form a letter (with proof of delivery). Contact Chiltern District Council by completing Service Request Form.

If that has not worked, if you are located in the UK, Adviceguide UK From outside the UK contact the UK European Consumer Centre

Trade Associations 

Pet Care Trust (PCT) 

Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons

Further information

Boarding & Breeding registered establishments

Other Redress

Complaints Procedure